Wednesday, March 14, 2012

What's a Television God??

Captain's Blog Stardate 20120314.0344

I'm a little over halfway through my overnight shift. Since my blog is supposed to describe how I am a television god, I had better get to it, or else I might lose my one reader.

It wasn't my plan to be a "Television God". It was my plan to be a radio god. It all started way back when...

I was a long haired rocker type guy. I was 18. I was told, by someone who was a DJ, to go to school. After years of procrastination, and dealing with only what I had to, I was moving furniture, sun up, to sometimes past sundown, 6 days a week. It's a pretty miserable existence, if you can get it.

In 2006 (almost 20 years later), I did go to that school. After that, I got hooked up (there's no other way to put it) by my job placement counselor, with a job in West Palm Beach, Florida... in television. I worked my way into a Master Control Operator position. It's so choice!

In a week, I work all three shifts (1st, 2nd, and 3rd). I am pretty cool like that. I get the best of all three worlds. In upcoming episodes, I'll be telling you the ins and outs of some of the things I do, as long as they don't violate "intellectual property policies".


I am the one who runs the station. I'm not some suit... I'm the guy who pushes the buttons that run the station. Some people say all I do is watch TV. That's not true. I "monitor the air". While I do watch TV, I do other things...

I'm responsible for dubbing commercials in the server for later airings. I take feeds of shows, and segment them for later airings. I enter clock times for all the events I can, so automation makes the switches at the proper times. I monitor the transmitter, and make sure it's running. When you see a news crawl, or a weather warning... Yeah, I do that to.

So when you think about it... I am the guy who mans the helm, ensuring that the humanoids of  "The Golden Metropolis" can just go on with their lives never knowing anything is wrong. And when there is... I'm the one who informs them of the things they need to know, whether it's me, or someone I give the switch to.

That's what makes me a "Television God". Who better than me???

2 comments:

  1. I love this...Its amazing how everyone plays a role in the process. Without you the show would literally not got on!
    I'm glad you finally decided to express yourself with words...Now it's go time!

    ReplyDelete